FastCheck Forum Index FastCheck
Get notified when you receive new emails!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MozIMAP enhancement suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Howard
The "e" in e-mail

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: MozIMAP enhancement suggestions Reply with quote

Here's a preliminary list of things to do:
  • No IDLE support, so you don't get immediate notification of new messages (this is the only thing I care about that OE has that Moz doesn't IIRC)
  • No MIME structure FETCH, which means that messages not fully downloaded have 'part 1.1' instead of 'fastcheck.exe' listed as attachments
  • Buggy text/rfc822 attachments; messages attached to messages do not open correctly
  • Buggy NAMESPACE and delimiter support; Cyrus and Courier users have to explicitly set the Sent/Trash folders because Moz doesn't correctly understand that they are in the personal namespace ('INBOX'); IMAP servers like Cyrus that don't use '/' as the delimiter do not work correctly because Moz always appends '/' to the personal namespace (so everything appears as subfolders of inbox unless you use the user.js hack I've shown)
  • Weak on-demand MIME part downloading; Moz often downloads the whole message including attachments rather than just the body--sometimes it does this correctly so I'm still not sure exactly when/why this happens
  • No ability to specify folders to poll; it would be nice to specify a subset of folders that are checked for new messages, rather than Moz's current Inbox-only or all-folders extremes (and only the inbox causes a new message indicator to appear in the taskbar)
  • Slow header downloads; Moz seems to download each header with a separate IMAP command, rather than using a single command which would greatly speed up the process, particularly for modem users
  • No server-side sorting; with big folders of thousands of messages Moz downloads all headers--it would be better to download just the headers of the displayed page, using server-side sorting to show the correct headers (Mulberry does this)
mklose

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18266

"Query IMAP folders other than INBOX for new msgs"

has been fixed!!!!

Hurray! (not by us though).

The idle thing shouldn't be too hard to implement. Maybe I'll do that after we get the #27002 sorted out, or someone else can do it.
Jeremy Howard
The "e" in e-mail

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good--well spotted! It looks like they're still doing a SELECT just to check for new messages, and they're not updating the taskbar icon, however, so there's 2 important changes required to have this working properly.
mklose

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18266#c154 is pretty interesting regarding the Biff thing. As to adding IDLE support, this should be pretty trivial now this is in place.

But we should discuss details in another thread. One thread per bug. The main issue is checking to see if the code closes the port when checking mails (I think it does), We need to either open a seperate TCP connection with a timer which polls at least every 29 minutes according to the RFC, or better modify the code to keep the connection open.

By the way, this is http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141369 (discussing the IMAP IDLE RFC)

Maybe we should open a thread which just contains relevant Bugzilla links.

(edited)

Add

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46378 to that list which talks about an update button.
mklose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this seems to be the topic for posting relevant Bugzilla bugs, here is another one I just opened:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=148460 Need new canonical format for IMAP folders
mklose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Bugzilla very very quiet Reply with quote

I am subscribed to a gazillion bugs which seem sort of relevant. Also some others which I have reported and were kept open or later duped or which I have some other sort of interest in.

But in the last two days there is virtually no bugzilla activity at all in my subscribed bugs, at least no notifications. I get some, but a fraction of what I normally get.

What's up? All gearing up for 1.0 or is it the nice weather on the Northern Hemisphere or the Football?
Jeremy Howard
The "e" in e-mail

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited activity is actually the norm--the level of activity in our bugs has been a direct result of our input into them, plus the fact that Henry has been getting involved.

Also, getting 1.0 out the door means that bugs not marked nsbeta will not get much attention for now.
srstites

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been using Mozilla as my sole web browser since December. If you are going to write a better email program for Mozilla then I have a feature that I would like to propose.

When I start an email program from my desktop I use Sylpheed. When I start an email program within Mozilla I get the Mozilla email program. I suggest that you write the new email program to be launchable from both the desktop and from within Mozilla. Then the user would always be using the same email filing system, address filing system, and user interface.

As a Mozilla user I adher to the spirit of open source and keep installing the bleeding edge release and reporting bugs. I have been programming off and on since 1965, so I can write a decent bug report. However as a casual user I am very hampered by the complexity of Bugzilla. If you write a new email program for Mozilla I will be happy to volunteer to keep installing the latest version and submitting understandable bug reports. You are much more likely to actually receive understandable copies of my bug reports if you allow me to send them directly to the developer rather than dropping them into the Bugzilla abyss.

Sincerely,

Steve Stites
mklose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, the aim is not to write a new email client, but to improve/in some cases rewrite the backend code responsible for polling IMAP servers.

Look at the todo list at the start of this thread.

The GUI shall stay exactly the same, only the way Mozilla handles IMAP servers will be greatly improved.
Jeremy Howard
The "e" in e-mail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srstites wrote:
I suggest that you write the new email program to be launchable from both the desktop and from within Mozilla.
The existing Mozilla mail client can be launched from the desktop. Just create a shortcut to Mozilla, and add "--mail" to the shortcut target (e.g. "c:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" --mail)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FastCheck Forum Index -> MozIMAP All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: